As the name suggests, an environmental lawyer fights for the environmental welfare. Some common concerns related to environment are the availability of clean water, pollution, global warming and protection of wild life. Environmental lawyers are associated with federal and state level government agencies and work as an individual or a team member to protect the environment from different hazards.
Environmental lawyers one of the different types of lawyers, work as activists to defend the environment against individuals and businesses which cause harm to it. Hence, the main duties and responsibilities of an environmental lawyer will be anything and everything to protect it and arrest any potential harm to the environment.
Duties and Responsibilities of an Environmental Lawyer
Following points answer different questions such as what an environmental lawyer does, what are his duties and responsibilities and what is the job description of such a lawyer:
- An environmental attorney acts as an advisor to help protect the environment. They provide assistance to the agencies, individuals and companies to comply with the local, federal and state regulations related to environmental law. Such ordinances and regulations cover water pollution, clean air practices, and hazardous waste and solid waste.
- They have to be vigilant and concerned about the environmental issues. They need to have profound knowledge and abilities to litigate over environmental concerns such as water contamination, air pollution, nuclear chemical emissions and oil spills.
- He should study the federal and state statutes, regulations, ordinances and constitution to understand the law and its implementation thoroughly. According to these policies and statutes studies, they should prepare the case, draft documents and apply legal policies.
- An environmental lawyer should be able to represent a diverse group of clients in cases related to litigation and criminal cases pertaining to environmental issues. He should be able to gather evidences, interview clients and formulate the case. If required, he should be able to handle negotiations for settlements of disputes.
- An environmental attorney does research work to develop policies that are effective to reduce the harm to the environment.
An environmental lawyer performs several duties and responsibilities and plays a vital role to shape the environmental law and make sure that the organizations utilizing the environmental resources do it in the best possible manner to do the least harm to the environment.